Welcome to my Review of “Geography Songs Sing Around the World”
Today, I’m going to be showing you this geography teaching tool, who can use it, how I used it, and what results I’ve seen. I’ll also give my list of pros and cons for Geography Songs.
Product: Geography Songs Sing Around the World Review
Place to Buy: Amazon.com
Size of Product: 8.5 x 11 inches \ 21 x 28 cm
Product includes: Audio CD with 33 songs. Workbook containing lyrics, maps, crossword puzzle, tests, answers, illustrations and descriptions of landmarks
Grade Level: All levels
My Rating: 9.5 out of 10
Geography Songs Sing Around the World Product Review
There are almost 200 countries in the world today. How can a child learn all of their names and locations? Can very young children accomplish this daunting task? The answer is yes! I have seen a three-and-a-half year old sing these geography songs independently! I mean, when his dad named a song, this child started right away singing it by himself. For over ten minutes, this little guy demonstrated the power of music for memorization!
Who Can Use Geography Songs?
This is suitable for group study or independent study. Any child with the ability to operate a CD player can listen independently. A reading student can easily locate specific countries or activities in the workbook by referring to the Table of Contents. Younger children, with training from a parent or older student, could find those same workbook pages simply by recognizing the map and accompanying illustrations.
For group instruction, the teacher will duplicate appropriate maps, the crossword puzzle, and the quizzes for each student. While a song is played or sung aloud, the teacher points to each location on the map; the students practice doing the same. To learn to read the names of the countries, have the students touch the lyrics as they are sung; lyrics are included on an adjacent page for every map.
Geography Songs will naturally supplement any child’s learning, whether he is homeschooled or pursuing other educational options.
How Did We Use It?
Over twenty years ago, our family purchased this workbook and music, which was on a cassette tape way back then. I regularly made use of the workbook’s maps and printed lyrics for the visual learners in my family. We usually shared the open book on the floor or on the bed while we listened to the music and sang along. I did not use a formal, structured approach for Geography Songs (we saved that for other subjects); rather, I intentionally created opportunities to sing the songs as a break from the more structured learning.
We took the music along with us on car rides, and often took the book, too. Since everyone had to sit still for the ride, it was a perfect opportunity to use both auditory and visual components for learning.
Because my son is mainly a kinesthetic learner, he really enjoyed moving his body and manipulating objects in his environment. I made optimal use of our world globe when teaching him Geography Songs. Having him clap, stomp, or march in rhythm with the beat helped solidify his learning. Of course, his siblings usually joined him in the noisy, cheerful activity!
During meal preparation is a nice time to have songs playing quietly in the background.
- Locations of countries are taught as well as names
- Countries are taught together within regions
- Illustrations are varied, detailed, and memorable
- Reproducible pages for coloring and labeling: workbook opens flat for easy copying
- Numbers are placed on each country on the maps in the order they’re sung
- Over 40 famous landmarks are illustrated, many with important information included
- Different musical styles correspond to different regions
- Songs are listed and numbered on the front of the CD
- Teaches our solar system, continents and oceans, and U.S. states and capitals
- Lays a solid foundation for world geography studies
- Provides fill-in-the-blank tests for the song lyrics
- Workbook has a Table of Contents
- Well-suited to visual learners and auditory learners
- Some tunes can become annoying with prolonged use.
- The 25″ x 36″ wall map with song lyrics on it must be purchased separately
- It is not an in-depth, cultural geography course, but it lays a solid foundation for one.
- Should be reviewed occasionally, even after initial memorization
- Kinesthetic learners may need additional helps, such as jumping or clapping to the music, or role-playing
- Students who feel they’re too old for children’s songs might resist
It’s Conclusive! Geography Songs Works!
There are very few things I really believe ought to be in every homeschool, and this is one of them, because Geography Songs works! I can attest to that. Even after our kids have grown up, they still remember these songs. It seems like every time we all get together for a family reunion, one of my kids will start singing these songs, and the others join in! Their cousins and my kids’s spouses think we’re all so smart! Haha!
Seriously though, my grown children tell me that knowing geography helped them succeed on college tests, and they are glad to know where places are when listening to the news. My one-time purchase provided lasting educational and entertainment value. I even sing them to myself on occasion. 🙂
Even if you’ve never found geography interesting, you and your kids might find yourselves painlessly learning where every country is located within a couple of weeks. Catchy tunes on audio CD and a book of fun maps and world famous landmarks might have everyone happily singing – and looking really SMART, too!
Thank you for reading my review. I hope it has helped you. If you want to check out Geography Songs here, you’ll see what those reviewers have said.
What Do You Think?
Have you had any experience with this product? Won’t you share about it in the comments below? Or ask any questions you may have; I’m here to help.
Joyfully journeying on!